Monday, June 18, 2012

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Let Down Your Hair!

I was cursed blessed with absurdly curly hair. I had ringlets all over my head, similar to Shirley Temple. My mom actually had someone ask her if she permed my hair when I was two.

personal photo / age 3ish with my Poppa

 As time went on, I found out that with about 2.5 hours of work, I could tame my curly hair into a slightly straight mane. 
Personal photo / College graduation 2011


Obviously, my hair resembles Rapunzel's in no way, shape or form. Like so many other girls, I'm trying to grow my hair out for the wedding. My hair has always been super thick, however, due to the medications I took for the last 2.5 years, it was getting thinner and thinner. When I showered, I would pull fist fulls of hair out and even more would fall out when I brushed my hair. In January, I decided to go off of all of my medications cold turkey. Since then, I've been hoping that my hair will regain some of its fullness by the wedding. I don't care about length as much because when my hair is straight, it's down to the middle of my back.

So what does all of this talk about my ridiculously curly hair have to do with weddings? Why wedding hairstyles of course!

When I first got engaged last October, I found this hairstyle and fell head over heels in love:


I promptly saved it to my wedding folder and pinned it on Pintrest. Months later, I am still in love. I am a little worried that my hair will turn into Shirley Temple ringlets however, instead of these loose flowing curls. 

I kept saving and pinning similar hairstyles

Don't have the source, sorry!


I thought a bit more and realized that I'm getting married in Missouri in August. That automatically means that it's going to be muggy and sticky outside. I figured I could deal with my hair down for the ceremony, but after that, I would want it up so I could dance and party with our friends without worrying about my hair. 

Audra, Keegan's cousin and one of my bridesmaids, has graciously offered to do my hair and makeup as well as the hair and makeup of the rest of my girls. She showed me this up do for the ceremony and I thought it was perfect. 


I wanted something quick and easy to do so that I could be away from the reception as little as possible. I also love how fun and quirky it is.  

This weekend, Keegan and I are going to KC for his cousin's wedding. Audra will be there, so we're going to do a hair and makeup trial. I'm so excited to finally meet Audra, as well as do my hair trial. I really want to see how much time the up-do will take so we can make sure I won't be away from the reception too long. I'll make sure to get pictures!


Anyone else have their hair down for a hot summer wedding? Should I just put it up for the ceremony as well? You think I'll come out with long, flowing curls or look like Shirley Temple?

No comments:

Post a Comment