Monday, June 11, 2012

Emily Post, I Am Not

As you may (or may not) know, Emily Post is the latest guru on wedding etiquette. She has a website that explains the do's and don'ts for a wedding which can be found here.

Now, I haven't read through her entire website, but I'm sure that I've broken a few of her wedding rules already, and honestly, I don't care. One that I am worried about however? Thank you notes.

Already, we have been getting wedding presents (and money) from various guests. Some are gifts from people who are not able to make it, others are from guests who know we don't want to lug a bunch of wedding presents from Missouri to Mississippi, so they just had the gift sent to our Mississippi home. Either way, the gifts are rolling in and I'm starting to think about thank you notes.

Now, Miss Post says that wedding thank you notes should be sent within three months of receiving the gift. That is of course, perfectly do-able after the wedding (watch me eat my words...) but what about the gifts we've received before the wedding? Most people, would buy (even though Emily disagrees with this practice) or craft a thank you note a few days after receiving the gift and send it off. I, on the other hand, am neurotic and want all of my thank yous to be the same. This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't hell-bent on making a thank you note with a wedding picture on it like:




I love love love these thank yous. The way I see it, if I'm spending a butt-load of money on wedding pictures, I might as well get some use out of them and send them to as many people as I can, right? 

So this poses a problem. I have these gifts that need thank yous, but I am crazy and want all my guests to get the same one. Will they compare thank yous? I highly doubt it. Its more about my sanity. Now, if I wait until after the wedding, it will still be in the "correct" three month time line that Miss Post says is acceptable. However, since these guests have sent their gifts so early, will it be strange to them to receive a thank you three months after they sent it? Will they realize that I'm crazy and wanted to use a wedding picture for my thank yous? Will that make me look lazy? Will they honestly even care? 

So, I need some input on this. Is it ok for me to wait until after the wedding and use a wedding picture for the thank you notes for gifts we received before the wedding, or should I suck it up and just send them a different one? 

No comments:

Post a Comment